Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Bees, Bananas, and the 'Bible'

Thought I'd share a picture of the 'bible' for this month's recipes!


The church ladies served up two fabulous recipes in the last couple of days, one involving bananas and one involving bees!

I know it's time for baking banana bread when your well-intentioned bananas begin to resemble my high school advanced biology fruit fly project! Where do those little yucky bugs come from? Ugh....

I digress- I thought banana bread would be a great church lady challenge. Granted, banana bread is one of the most simple 'quick breads' to bake but there are always opportunities for variation in the recipe. I chose a basic recipe- nothing fancy- and it turned out three fantastic loaves of steamy banana goodness. I sliced up two and put one in the freezer for a rainy day or a hostess gift. Yum-O! Can't wait for the next batch of bananas to go bad!

The church ladies served up a great chicken recipe for dinner! The recipe was entitled 'Sweet and Sour Chicken Thighs'. No one in our house likes to eat meat on a bone, so I simply cut up chicken breasts, (BTW...we use the SMART chicken in our house- cage free, antibiotic free, and hormone free! DELISH!) and made them the approximate size and density of a chicken thigh. These church ladies were fairly progressive and gave a cooking time option for boneless meat. The recipe called for honey, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. SOOO easy! We have some very dear friends who are beekeepers in their spare time so I called up Susan and asked for a honey delivery! You have not lived until you have tasted true, fresh, unprocessed honey. It is divine! It was the perfect compliment to the fresh squeezed lemon juice. Again, the recipe isn't wonderful to photograph, but the taste was fantastic. I paired it with jasmine rice, steamed broccoli florets, and fresh homemade biscuits. The kids loved it, even if it was just a vehicle for fresh honey!


Again....just remember this is NOT my finest food photograph! It's a quick, "holy moly, I forgot to take the picture! Let me just snap a picture of your plate.", picture!



The 'trinity' for this recipe.



I love this picture of my grandma Wood's crystal citrus juicer. I snagged this little item from her house after she passed away. It has served me well and makes me smile when I use it! She used it to juice the oranges and tangelos that fell from her trees in her Arizona backyard and would always serve me fresh-squeezed juice! It was perfect for the lemon juice for tonight's recipe!


Tomorrow the cookbook collection AND breaking a cupcake commandment!

Good eats,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment